Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Very naughty boy


Hi guys I have realised that I have been neglecting the Blog lately, it has been over 2 months since I last updated it. The main reason being I haven't painted or gamed much in the way of the Deluge period in this time. I am still trying to find a ruleset that can handle big games, is fun, quick and provides a semblance of reality (whatever that may be). I have been tweaking (only slightly) the free ruleset for the ECW done by Quidia Studios (Victory without Quarter). These rules are fun and certainly give one a good game without being bogged down. They are a card driven system, the additions I have made are a Brigade card which will really help them flow, rules for bows, lances to help represent the Tartar, Polish, Muscovite, Turkish and other armies of the period. I will play a game soon and post the results and some pictures.


Painting for the Deluge period has fallen off seriously as I have been painting lots of figures for the early Sudan which I hope to play for the first time in 5 weeks over the school holidays. This has been a long term dream of mine, inspired by Peter Gilder in the old wargaming magazines of the 80's and 90's and more recently by Alt Fritz using Peter Gilder's still superb collection. I have also finished loads of desert terrain and heavily adapted a 11 x 6 foot terrain tile set lent to me by Robert Fletcher (cheers mate). I will post some phots of figures, terrain and buildings over the next few weeks. So until the next post (next week I promise), bye. Cheers Scott

3 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Please make sure you share some pictures of the Sudan project - that's a subject dear to my heart, and a period I play, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do... I'm using the Gilder rules as well, there's some details on my Sudan project blog...

Scott Robertson said...

Steve just checked your site, 15mm is not my thing but your Sudan collection looks great. I have based my figures on large bases so that they can be used for a number of different systems. Peter Gilders large bases for the Fuzzy Wuzzies was my inspiration, 100mm x 50mm with 5-6 figures (representing 10) and lots of terrain. I am going to try 'Science versus Pluck:Too Much for the Mahdi' first but have 'Battles for Empire' or 'Field of Battle' in mind as well. I did have a full set of Peter Gilder's Sudan rules from a friend who got them from the Holiday centre but I lent them to a gamer and he never gave them back. The good news is that there may be version coming out someday, lets hope anyway. Will post some photos in the next few days. Cheers Scott

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Cheers Scott - I'm endlessly impressed with your painting skills, and I am definitely *not* a painter! wentwith 15mm because of table size (most I can do is 4' width) but other than that it looks like you're going the same route I am/did! :o))

I started off with 'Principles of War' but found it all a little "dry" for the Sudan(excuse the pun), tried writing my own but they were a little too much like the other periods I played and I wanted something different. Then I got 'Battles for Empire' but got irritated to hell and back by the constant "except" comments in each rule - "all troops can do such and such *except*....etc" At which point in time I decided to do what I should have done in the first place, bought 'Pony Wars', took all the good stuff & put it into my rules, dredged as much as I could from the Wargamers World Gilder articles, obtained Gilders reaction table (and I have a soft copy of the Gilder 'rules' if you want them) put it all together and here I am... drop us an email if you want the Gilder rules